Welcome to the SHARKS Information page.
We are a group of people dedicated to the hobby of radio controlled model aircraft and are chartered by the Academy of Model Aeronautics, known simply as the AMA. The AMA, as the national sanctioning body for Model Aviation in the United States, provides leadership, competition and education to it members, and is also the insurance provider for Model Aviators across the U.S. There are several thousand clubs similar to ours in this country and any current member of the AMA is eligible for membership in the SHARKS
The SHARKS members are legally bound by a constitution and by-laws to perform certain functions. We must adhere to the requirements promulgated by the AMA and are responsible to set forth the rules and regulations for our flying site. We hold regular meetings, assess dues, elect officers, and participate in group activities, all for the promotion and enjoyment of radio controlled aircraft building and flying.
The SHARKS members fly at the Northridge Air Park located at 6865 Highway 71 North, Shreveport, LA 71107. Visitors and fellow flyers are always welcomed and are encouraged to stop in for some Southern Hospitality, meet with the club members and watch the fun and flying. The busiest flying times are on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Browse our web site for more information.
One of the most important aspects of the AMA is education. While building a plane, modelers learn about math, electronics, mechanics, physics, aerodynamics, and perseverance. Any one of these subjects can come in handy on the job market. We at the SHARKS challenge you to better yourself. Join the AMA and the Shreveport Area Radio Kontrol Society (SHARKS) R/C Club. We have experienced members standing ready to assist you in your new adventure. Be sure to ask one of our volunteer instructors to help you get your new aircraft up into the sky and back down safely.
Thanks for stopping by our web site. If you are in the area, please stop in and say hi.
Happy Flying Ya’ll!
- Ask a current SHARKS member to serve as your sponsor. If you do not already know a SHARKS member, visit the field to meet some of the members.
- Join, or make sure your membership is current with the AMA. Click Here to download the AMA Application
- Download and print out the SHARKS application form. (PDF | WORD DOC)
- Bring the completed application form to a Club meeting. The dates and locations of Club meetings may be found on the SHARKS Events Calendar.
- Pay your dues and fees to the Club treasurer at the meeting. See the schedule of membership categories, dues, and fees on the application form. The membership will vote on your application at that meeting.
- Contact the Chief Flight Instructor to arrange flight training or approval to solo.